Power Flushing FAQ
What is Power Flushing?
Power flushing is basically a method to clean lime, sludge and other deposits from your heating system.
Power flushing, also known as 'Hard Flushing' or 'Jet Flushing' is a process used to clean heating systems with water combined with vigorous mobilising and cleansing agents.
The flushing is done at high velocity, but low pressure to prevent any damage to the system. The heating circuit is cleansed of lime scale and corrosion debris
No debris remains to create blockages in the system eliminating the possibility of damage or inefficiencies had the debris been left in place.
How does it Work?
1. A power flushing machine is connected to your heating system.
2. A mix of water and cleaning chemicals are pumped through the system and high power to loosen any deposits.
3. The water including the deposits and chemicals is removed from the system and replaced with clean water sometimes with more chemicals.
What are the signs I need a power flush?
- Your heating system isn’t as efficient as it once was.
- Black water coming from your radiators (Iron Oxide).
- Noises coming from your pipework.
- Noises coming from your boiler (if this is the case, contact us to have a Registered Gas Installer inspect the system – don’t assume it needs a power flush)
- If your boiler is randomly turning off
- Your Pump keeps failing.
- Your radiators need to be bled more than usual.
- Cold spots on your radiators
- Evidence of deposits coming from your radiators
- If your taps dont produce hot water consistently.
- If you are installing a new boiler it is advised to carry out a power flush and to install a magnetic filter.
If you experience any of the above signs it is best to contact us to have a Registered Gas Installer inspect your system, these symptoms do not always indicate a power flush is needed and can be a result of other problems.
How Long does a Power Flush Service take?
In our experience, it usually takes half a day to complete a power flush provided no unforeseen problems arise.
What are the Advantages of Power Flushing?
- Your heating system will work more efficiently.
- Your heating will work more consistently.
- Your home will heat up faster.
- Better quality water coming from your taps.
- There is less of a chance of your heating system breaking down in future.
- You can extend the life of your boiler and heating system.
How Often Should a Home Central Heating System be Power Flushed?
The general rule of thumb is every 4-5 years or when you install a new boiler.
It’s best not to wait until you need a power flush and stick within the recommended 4- years.